Improving legal practice with children and young people
This online training tool is designed to support legal practitioners in making the legal process more sensitive to the rights and needs of child clients. Children’s special and dependent status creates distinct difficulties for them in pursuing remedies for breaches of their rights. Legal practitioners play a central role in ensuring that the legal process is both effective and child-friendly.
Why should law firms use this training package?
- Free – there is no charge at all for using these materials
- Flexible - suitable for use by individuals or by groups of staff e.g. at lunchtime training sessions
- Written by leading academics and expert lawyers specialising in work with children
- CPD – comprises about 8 hours of training in total
- Supports solicitors in your organisation to meet their continuing competence requirement
- Invaluable for the induction of new staff at all levels, from experienced practitioners to paralegals and caseworkers
- Increases the confidence and competence of your staff
- Enhances your reputation, and potentially secures better case outcomes for child clients
- Risk Management - incorporates training on ethical issues / the SRA Code of Conduct to ensure full compliance with professional obligations.
Why should individual practitioners use this training?
- Gain greater insight into children’s experience of being involved in legal proceedings
- Gain the confidence to improve the experience of your child clients by learning directly from expert lawyers who specialise in representing children
- Benefit from guided self-evaluation and reflection on your practice and outcomes
- Access materials (e.g. model letters) that you can use in your day-to-day work
- Get ideas for simple, concrete measures to improve the way you work with children
- Increase your understanding of the legal and procedural mechanisms for enforcing children’s rights.